Street marketing campaigns are one such example -- and can be an unconventional way to promote your products or services in public places.
A simple street marketing campaign such as a promotional giveaway doesn't have to cost a lot of money and they can be an effective way to generate buzz for your brand, your products, and your services to customers who are not yet aware you exist.
Unlike static ads, street marketing can involve multiple techniques and practices in order to establish direct contact with potential customers. Street marketing if most often performed at public venues such as malls or street corners, but can also be done door-to-door.
Done right, street marketing efforts can create brand awareness, stimulate website visits, trigger positive word of mouth, and even generate sales.
1. Introduces your brand in a surprising way
2. Delivers your message directly into people's personal space
3. Reaches all types of buyers, not just the digital-savvy
4. Affordable & cost effective
5. Fun, visual appealing and press-worthy
STREET MARKETING EXAMPLES
1. Hand delivered flyers / Product sample giveaways
2. Header boards or walking billboards
3. Character costumes/human animation
4. Interactive installations
5. Scavenger hunts
6. Aerial skywriting or banner displays
7. Evening searchlights / Red carpet events
8. Live data entry / Contest registration
9. Murals and chalk art
10. Street theater / Flash mobs
STREET MARKETING ROI
Here's an ROI chart I pulled together that compares the performance of three marketing channels during the same 3-month period in 2013 for a client I was working with. In the chart, I compare search engine marketing (paid search or SEM) compared to GDN (Google Display Network) to a simple street marketing campaign that involved flyer distribution with backpack-mounted header board display in a high foot traffic urban area.